Business & TechWorld

Facebook, TikTok suspended in Gabon under regulator’s order

 

Libreville, Gabon — Authorities in Gabon have suspended access to social media platforms “until further notice”, saying online content has helped fuel conflict and deepen divisions.

 

 

 

 

The decision was announced on Tuesday night by the country’s media regulator, the High Authority for Communication (HAC). In a televised statement, HAC spokesperson Jean-Claude Mendome said the move was driven by the spread of false information, cyberbullying and the unauthorised sharing of personal data.

The regulator did not name specific platforms, but services such as WhatsApp, Facebook and TikTok are widely used across the country. By Wednesday morning, there were reports of partial disruptions, with some users unable to access Facebook and TikTok, according to Agence France-Press.

Gabon is currently led by Brice Oligui Nguema, who won last year’s presidential election after leading a military coup in 2023. His government is facing mounting social pressure, including strikes by teachers and other civil servants over pay and working conditions.

The suspension has taken many by surprise in the Central African nation of about 2.5 million people, where social media plays a major role in daily life, especially among younger users and small business owners.

A restaurant owner in the capital, Libreville, told the BBC Africa that the move could seriously hurt his business.

“Almost 40% of my customers decide to order or come to the restaurant after seeing our advertising on social media,” he said. “Without that, it will be hard to attract new customers. People trust what they see online, especially reviews and photos.”

He added that the suspension felt like a step backwards rather than progress.

Not everyone shares that view. A taxi driver in Libreville said the decision did not bother him, suggesting authorities must have had strong reasons. “There’s no smoke without fire,” he said. “If they took this decision, something must have pushed them to it.”

It remains unclear how long the suspension will last or whether access will be fully restored in the coming days.

Source: BBC Africa

Share on:

ANN News

ANN News is the first and only 24*7 Tv News Channel of Kashmir, having its headquarters at Srinagar. ANN News is available on all leading cable Networks, Also Available On JIO Tv , Vodafone,TataPlay , Candor Network, Dailyhunt and other leading Platforms